Since hearing aids can now be sold Over-the-Counter (OTC), they are more accessible than ever and available in a variety of locations. OTC hearing aids can be purchased online or in person at retail stores.
In this article, you’ll learn about where you can purchase OTC hearing aids and discover the potentially significant advantages that online shopping can provide.
Places to Buy OTC Hearing Aids
Unlike prescription hearing aids, OTC hearing aids can be purchased at several places, including:
- Online: Many online retailers sell a wide selection of OTC hearing aids.
- Retail Stores and Drug Stores: Several big-box retail stores, including drug stores and pharmacies, sell OTC hearing aids now. However, you might not be able to speak with anyone who specializes in hearing aids. Therefore, many questions you have could be left unanswered, leaving you at risk of purchasing hearing aids that are not the best solution for your needs.
- Hearing Health Clinics: Hearing health clinics sometimes sell OTC hearing aids, but the costs could be high.
Benefits of Purchasing OTC Hearing Aids Online
Buying new hearing aids online offers many advantages, including:
Shopping online for an OTC hearing aid means you can access a wider selection, all from the comfort of your home. Whereas shopping in-person at stores could give you limited options depending on where you live.
OTC hearing aids listed online tend to be more affordable than in stores since you’re able to search for more competitive pricing. The reasons online stores can offer better pricing than physical retail stores are due to lower overhead costs and the ability to reach a wider customer base.
Access Customer Reviews
When you shop online for OTC hearing aids, you’ll be able to read customer reviews about the specific product, battery life, any features included, and how well the hearing aids fit in the ear canal. This will help you make a more informed decision before purchasing them.
Many times retail staff aren’t available to answer questions about OTC hearing aids or provide you with the information you need. But shopping online enables you to call or message a customer support team that is highly familiar with hearing aids, providing you with answers to all your questions.
Warranties and Discounts
While there are sometimes various warranties, device protection plans, and discounts available for OTC hearing aids in stores, it’s best to shop around online and do your research to find the best protection plans and discounts available.
Do You Need OTC Hearing Aids?
There’s no need for a prescription, medical exam, hearing test, or doctor’s visit to purchase OTC hearing aids. In fact, anyone who is 18 years old or older and has mild hearing loss to moderate hearing loss can purchase and benefit from them.
Someone with mild to moderate hearing loss might experience one or all of the below:
- Trouble hearing conversations in noisy places and with a lot of background noise
- Difficulty hearing someone on the phone
- Feeling tired from listening
- Finding it difficult to follow conversations and hear people in group settings
- Needing to turn up the volume on the TV or radio, even if others say that it’s loud
If you’re concerned your hearing loss might be severe, it’s best to schedule an appointment with your doctor and/or hearing aid specialists. Symptoms of severe hearing loss can include difficulty hearing loud noises and conversations (even in quiet environments). You might also find yourself reading lips as a result of your hearing loss.